Friday, May 29, 2009

From Tabitha Ondeche'

Guess what! I have a new name….Velma, a caregiver volunteer in Dandora, decided I needed an Africa name – so I am now Tabitha Ondeche’. I do not know what it means….

Dandora, day 2 was great. I observed part of a “peer counseling training session” today – the participants were all teachers or ministers who worked with children. They were being trained in life skills, relationship building, HIV prevention, and prevention of drug & alcohol abuse… and in turn were to take it back to teach the children & teens they work with… who in turn, could counsel their peers.

I finally met Kennedy Muriuki, the site director, today – and I finally have a concrete plan for my project (beyond all the wonderful learning & exposure activities). I’ll have 3 objectives: to find OVC’s in the community that are not yet entered into HOPE’s support program, to determine if the OVC’s currently in the program have any needs that could be met by an available program, but are not… and finally, to identify children in the community with special needs (the “hidden children” – handicapped, mentally retarded, deaf or blind, etc). I’ll focus it to just one phase of Dandora (one geographic area), since there are 5 phases and 600,000 people… it’s still probably too big a project – but I at least will get something started that HOPE can continue after I leave.

After meeting with Kennedy, I walked with Makena & Charles to the Ronald Ngara Community School… a “public school” that is the only school in Dandora that has a program for special needs children. A young woman named Elizabeth also joined us. Elizabeth is stunningly beautiful, but has a badly misshapen back and hip and walks with crutches. She was beaten by a teacher when she was 12 years old – a beating which broke her back… and the surgeon fusing her vertebrae after the injury, permanently dislocated her hip. As an adult, she has become an advocate for special needs children - and said she wants children, especially special needs children, to get proper education and health care, unlike her experience. We met the class of 13 special needs students – and all but 2 had their mother there for our visit. I thought we were just going for a quick observation, but it was a really big deal. Makena made it clear that we had no immediate funding… but that if we could document numbers and needs, she could begin the search for support monies.

There was one sweet little boy…. born in a third world country… living in a slum in that country, by the city dump…. an AIDS orphan….and mentally retarded. How can one little guy have so many strikes against him? I imagined him in heaven – happy, healthy, strong, fed, loved (I know those aren’t really heavenly attributes… I was just picturing him with all that he lacks in this life…). Both mothers & teachers seemed very devoted to these children – but there resources were so limited (Priscilla, are you there? Do you have any manipulatives, resources books, etc, you could send with Frank & Meg? Kids are 10-19).

Two final notes on the school visit:
· The teacher referred to the “hidden children” – all the special needs kids that live in Dandora but are never seen – because of shame, ignorance, no knowledge of help available. The govt would supply more teachers & the school has space if these kids could be identified and enrolled. “Hidden children” sounds like such an opportunity for abuse & neglect – especially if these children cannot speak for themselves and the family resources are so limited.
· With one exception, the children all looked normal to me (no Down’s syndrome or other syndromes that have relatively easily identifiable features)… it made me wonder if any of their retardation could have been the result of lead poisoning (the water & soil around the dumpsite already has been proven to have high lead levels). I’ll have to do more research on that…

Dave, Pam’s friend took me to Anyima & Edward’s home tonight…. It is almost surreal moving back & forth between these two worlds. They have a beautiful home… Anyima’s father was the Ghanan ambassador to the US and as a child, she visited the White House on numerous occasions and played with Amy Carter. Edward’s stories of his current life are equally remarkable (I’m just too tired to write about them all). Both have hearts that want to see their country change – both in addressing the needs of the poor and by addressing political policies and corruption that prevents the govt from being responsive and responsible to the people of Kenya. I know that tying these worlds together is part of the answer for both.

A final personal note to those who take the time to read these really long notes… & leave a message afterward … thank you so much!! I am doing fine, but each message from home is a real, real treasure to me – I read them dozens of times over!!


Also... I desperately want to share photos, but can't seem to upload even one on the blog or on Facebook. My internet has been pretty reliable, but I think its a very small band... I'll keep trying...

8 comments:

  1. Hi beth - Tabitha! What a beautiful name - how do you pronounce your last name? I left you a LONG note last night, which was promtly lost due to a computer issue (apparantly my "cookies" are gone). Hopefully this one will work, although I will save it first!

    Last night, I was mostly asking questions about what the work is composed of - but you have answered many of those. Why did Doctors w/out Borders pull out? I'll be very interested to hear about what sorts of challenges you are able to identify. Does the cultural gap make this more difficult? I wonder if some mental illnesses show up in different ways? I'm sure you have a long list of things to look for - how will you know? Do you have anxiety disordres on your list? Up up to 13% of children worldwide suffer from Anxiety Disorders - about half of those are diabling - I would think it could be even higher under these circumstances - with PTSD being high on the list, I'd bet. I cannot wait to hear more. It's like reading an incredible novel, but it's an installment - I feel like I have now met Dickens.

    Is there something we can support in terms of materials? If so, hook us up with Frank or Meg and we'll do our best. I can shop this weekend, or can do some funds for Frank from your fund. Let us know - we'd love to find a way to help out a little, since I am eating off clean plates & have tons of drinking water!!!:) Love you - Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mom! Thanks for sharing your stories. Your stories of the children break my heart, but I'm so glad you're there and the HOPE programs are in place to help those in need. You're constantly in my thoughts and prayers. I love you and am so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "In Nairobi there was a disciple named Tabitha who was always doing good and helping the poor." (Frank's translation of Acts 9:36) I love it, and especially when you know that Tabitha means gazelle Aramaic! My beautiful gazelle loving and serving the hidden children of Dandorra! What a great picture (I'm seeing the Thomsen's gazelles darting through the grasslands of the Masai Mara).

    I love you with all my heart, Frank

    ReplyDelete
  4. Habari yako, dada mpedwa Tabitha. Nimefurahia kusoma maadishi yako ya kila siku. Namshukulu Bwana kwa sababu mizigo yako tayari imekufikia na inaonekana unanjisikia kama uko nyumbani.

    Kuhusu watu wako ambao unawatumikia, maombi yangu ni kwaba mapenzi yenu itaenea, na nyote mutabarikiwa na maisha yenu iwe ya kungala kwa sababu ya hizo baraka.

    Hivi karibuni, nilipata barua kutoka Julius (ndugu yake ule anayetuongoza katika safari). Nakuomba ujalibu kumfikia ili umupe salaamu zetu. Alikunja Kanisa na sisi wakati tulikua huko na ni maombi yangu ataweza kutembea kanisani tena.
    Njalibu kumsihi ili akunje kanisa.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Greetings in English. I wanted my first post to be in Swahili. Beth, as you, and others, know Kenyans have their own time schedule (as we all do). Therefore, I had to wait longer than I expected for the translation. Sorry. I hope you don't have to wait as long for someone to translate back to you :).
    Please now I have been w/ you, and have laughed and cried, w/ your every post. I can see the sights and smell the smells. And if I were there w/ you we'd be in Mombasa right now.
    Words cannot express the tears that are falling down my face and the lump in my throat I have right now as I type this. I have read your posts over and over and felt your joys and your frustrations. I have so many questions I want to ask. And I pray daily for you to stay healthy and safe. I cringed when I read that they made you lunch in Dandora and felt for you knowing how you wanted to say 'no thank you, I brought my own', yet knowing how that would hurt them, turning down their hospitality and sacrifice. I also know how you probably wanted to go find a hungry child and let them eat instead. I remember at ReachOut how we would take a child and hide, giving them our afternoon cup of chai. We would talk about how hard it was to eat, with so many hungry young eyes watching...:(
    I know so many of us would love to see what you see. Jim thinks if you set your camera to download your pictures just before you go to bed they should be there by morning. It's worth a try. Hope it works.
    As for resources with your 'hidden children', I will do my best. The children I work w/ maybe at higher levels than what are in your group. Are they verbal at all? What are their struggles academically? Do they understand and obey basic commands: 'sit down', 'stand up', 'give this to her'...? Do they recognize numbers or letters? Are they able to perform simple tasks, such as feeding themselves and dressing themselves? Are they toilet trained? Do they mind being touched or hugged? Let me know about these ares and hopefully I can get a better idea of how to help.
    I hope you're wearing your African garb for church tomorrow. Tell Monix (Jimmy's wife) I have a card & gift coming her way-and give her your biggest hug from me. (Yeah, I know I didn't send her a card and I'm still beating myself for it-ugh!)
    Beth, in countless ways you are my hero, my confidant, my best friend. I thank God always for our relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Susan - to answer some of your questions...Doctors w/o Borders pulled out during last year's election violence (there are burned buildings right behind HOPE from the violence - also the Mungiki's are in this area... I'll let you google that one). Cultural differences seem huge & I think ulltimately the work on the ground must be done by people who are part of the community... my hope is that I can get first hand experience and then become some kind of voice, advocate, grant writer, etc in support of those "on the ground". I am going to start writing my formal goals/objectives tonight & really appreciate your notes on anxiety disorders. PTSD has been researched in reference to OVC's... I have also gotten some great info from Chrissy on childhood grieving ("uncomplicated" vs traumatic grief). I am overwhelmed (in a good way) with all the possibilities of things to look at... guess I'll have to come back! And thanks so much for you idea of helping out with the special needs kids at the school - I will find out how that can be done! Your "posts" mean so much to me - thanks for taking time out of your busy days to write so often!! much love -

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beth, I have loved reading your long posts. Your descriptions are incredible. I really feel like I am right there with you. I think Tabitha is perfect for you. Your namesake in the Bible made clothes (which I know is not your forte!), but you are serving just in other ways. And maybe, your research will help in ways you can't even guess about now. I think one that you are serving is in inspiring those of us at home, especially us "older women." You are constantly in my thoughts and prayers. Love, MN

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Beth, I don't think a day goes by that I don't think of you and utter a little prayer to God on behalf of you for your safety. I am so glad and thankful for this technology that you are able to share with so many people your day to day experiences as you begin this work. I look forward to every word. I do hope you will be able to figure out how to upload your pictures or there is someone out here that can help you. I am sharing your blog site with two very special young people who attend So. Rd. who are from Ghana. One is very interested in studying medicine and is currently in a program in her country. She also wants to live and work with her people when she has completed her degrees. The young man is in a pharmacy course. I am sure they will enjoy reading about your adventures. Have a beautiful day tomorrow and may the Lord be with you as you work and give of yourself to so many people you are coming in contact with. Love, Susan

    ReplyDelete