Saturday, May 30, 2009

Pilau and tea with Mary

Tonight’s note will be a little short, because I need to also begin schoolwork tonight.

Full, full day – began at 7 am at Anyima’s shop and ended at 6 when Mary brought me back to my apartment from her home. I want to drink in the full experience of my time in Nairobi, but I find myself uncomfortable with always being the center of attention – how can I complain, however – for people have been beyond kind, generous & gracious to me.

Anyima’s shop is a clothing shop in a very nice shopping area – she sells clothing that she designs and personally selects fabrics for. .. all using traditional African fabrics, but with some western styling. – really exquisite. It’s all made in Ghana (the best African tailors, she said). Her new goal is to reach Michele Obama with her designs (I love people who dream big!) – and I agreed that some of her skirt, in particular, seemed perfect for Michele. Anyima is the type of person who could well make this happen! She opened her shop early for a group of women to join together for Bible study and prayer (7:30 – noon)… it was a great time to meet new friends and be refreshed.

Mary W picked me up afterward, we picked her daughter up from Saturday school, stopped at a grocer to buy bottled water for me (she was so thoughtful) and then we went to her home for lunch … beef (or perhaps goat… I decided not to ask) pilau and tomatoes with onions & garlic & cilantro – really wonderful. Then we spent the rest of the afternoon on the couch talking & laughing. Women/wives/mothers all over the world really do share so many common struggles & dreams, no matter where they live. She has a beautiful 12 year old daughter Esther, who just captured my heart… I really hope to get to see her more while I am here!

I had a relatively late lunch with Mary, so just had tea and toast for dinner… Used Flora medium fat spread on my toast…which is “crammed full of oils” .... heart healthy, I hope!


Off to do homework!

2 comments:

  1. sent you long comment - but never posted. I should save before posting. must go to bed - too much time on internet tonight, researching Pandas, antibodies, etc. Suffice it to say, for now, that I am so proud of you & love you a lot. Take CARE of yourself over there. Love, Susan (and if this does not post, I am going to hit the wall!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Beth - I am back awake again, so I'll try this post. I loved the post from Priscilla - exactly! It's been fun to get to know a few of your friends on this blog - side benefit. She must be an impressive woman. I really felt the same way about your meal at Dandora - soon to be a regular occurance, I am sure. On so many levels that must be hard -to accept or refuse, the eyes around you. I wonder how you are handling this. I wonder how you will come back to the US after this too - to the largely selfish worries that we mostly have here. I really appreciate your elaboration on what your role will be - I often think, as American's, that we cannot simply go places & try to solve their problems - I can barely understand my own child's issues - how will I possibly put myself into the shoes of a child from Dandora - which I would need to do to really help. So I appreciate the framework that you laid out - of understanding and learning - and then helping with a framework and empowerment of the local community to do the real work. That makes sense. I keep thinking about the young man that cannot afford to go back to school - and what he is doing with his time to help while he waits. Very impressive young man. I am so excited for you to be having this experience. How wonderful that you have this courage to experience every day. Don't worry about the center of attention thing. Just accept that some of that will come with this effort you are making - you are a hero, and learning to accept some "fuss" about it will make others around you more comfortable. Take it for a second or two & then turn it back to them. Lots of love - Susan

    ReplyDelete