Writing for the first time from Kenya!!! Great flight over… clear skies, smooth rides from Charlotte to Amsterdam to Nairobi, no delays, no getting lost in strange airports – couldn’t have been easier. Sat next to a German couple on the trip to Nairobi – their 4th visit to the country. They have other jobs, but support a group called jaaba (?), which works primarily to fund university scholarships for children who graduate from a particular school in one of the area slums. I have read there is a particular line of thinking in the “development world” that massive programs are not the ones which work best… but that the most success seems to come in smaller programs, targeted for a particular group & which has the buy-in of the group being supported as well as a committed sponsor or sustaining group. This couple’s jaaba, our Reach-Out, HOPE’s niche… each is filling a role & seeing success in the lives of those it touches.
So the “adventures” began once I landed, not unexpectedly. Swine flu concerns are real in Kenya, despite no diagnoses in this country yet. Everyone arriving from a country where cases of swine flu had been diagnosed has to complete a page long survey …. Any signs of fever? Cough? Sore throat? Where have you been? Where are you going? How can we reach you? Cool to see public health in action!
Then a luggage issue. Got the big bag full of jump ropes, soccer balls, games & flip flops. Didn’t get the suitcase carrying my clothes. After standing in two lines, I was assured my baggage had arrived; but no one could find it. The consensus was that someone mistakenly took my suitcase instead of their own – I have also been assured that Kenyans are honest people & the security people are sure it will be returned – in which case they will bring it to me. Meghan, be sure to pack essentials & cloths for another day or so in your carry-on bag!
Malinda, Mary O, Mary M, Anthony, and Anyima were all there to greet me – so wonderful & amazing to have such loyal & kind friends… the swine flu & luggage issues meant I finally cleared customs about 9:30, after landing at 7. The waited so patiently & I was very grateful! We had lots of laughter & catching-up in the car ride to the “hotel”.
For those who know it, think Heron Court, downgraded a few steps. The Kenya Comfort Apartments are indeed comfortable, but worn. Slightly odd-shaped rooms with half-walls built to create different spaces – everything has sliding doors, mounted with the hardware on the outside. Friends had left yellow roses, crackers, and bananas & oranges for me – the bananas were huge… and the one I ate tasted so sweet; just perfect!
The issues of traveling in a foreign country (and not a first world country) were immediately apparent. I failed to exchange currency at the airport with all the other issues - and you just can’t use credit cards everywhere like in teh US. I needed Kenyan schillings to buy water at the front desk.... and without KS, I had to do a little negotiating for 2 bottles “on loan”. I can’t drink the water from the faucet; I can’t brush my teeth or make tea with it…. You really have to plan & think things through. I shouldn’t keep my passport in the room; they can lock it at the front desk – for 100 KS each day, but without the KS & since it was so late, he thought I should just wait ‘til tomorrow. Computer in room while I’m out? Malinda suggested I also lock that up while I’m away… but the hotel’s safe isn’t big enough to accommodate laptops. The parking/security attendant also oversees the computer cafĂ© (2 computers in a closet)…. I have so much to learn and figure out!! But it’s perfect.
I am meeting Malinda at 8:15 for church in front of the hotel.
Sunday, May 24, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

mom, i'm so happy you made it there safely! i love you and am definitely praying for you!
ReplyDelete