First night in Nairobi - there is something slightly exotic about sleeping under a malaria net... slept well and woke up to a 7 am courtesy call, followed just seconds later by a rooster crowing! I am in a small 4th floor apartment & was not prepared for what my back window overlooks. I had heard lots of noise last night & thought there might be restaurants behind me. What I found was one apartment building similar to what I am in off to the right, and directly behind me is a small settlement area – numerous shacks, rusty tin roofs, a big stone fireplace, a little market - with bananas hanging adjacent to raw meat. There is pleasantness about the sounds coming up from the little “village” – roosters, chickens; I think goats… & lots of talking. I am sure I’ll get accustomed to the sounds. Since there is no air conditioning, my windows will be open most of the time (which is slightly problematic since there are no screens).
When we drove up to the Nairobi Train Depot this morning (where church is held), Malinda & I found ourselves in the middle of a mass of armed soldiers (not a dozen, but hundreds!). She stopped to see if there was a security issue, but we learned they were only amassing to plan for a national holiday celebration on June 1st… a little intimidating, but not alarming.
After church Malinda & her Ethiopian husband Tewolde (I said hello from you, Priscilla!), daughter Dagmawit, the Ondatto’s with Joshua, Kaidza & Jambi – and I - all had lunch together at an Ethiopian restaurant… we walked into a tiny walled home, down a pathway (saw rosemary growing!) and through a beaded curtain into a simple dim room with large upholstered furniture surrounding a center coffee table. Tewolde ordered food for all of us – and it came on what looked like an over-sized pizza tray. There was a large “pancake” (very, very light) that covered the whole tray & then three spoonfuls of different minced meats and various spoonfuls of vegetables (beet roots, beans, cabbage) on top of the pancake, plus dried meat pieces and a pureed bean soup in a clay pot. No silverware – you just tore a piece of the pancake & used it to eat with – including the soup. There is a delightful intimacy that comes from literally sharing a meal together. Tewolde order “juice” for us all – a tall mug with a layer of mango juice on the bottom, avocado juice in the center and papaya juice on the top (more “slushy” than thin juices) … again, really wonderful! And we ended with a small cup of Ethiopian coffee.
I am now home for the rest of the day. Missing suitcase arrived! I start tomorrow at 7:30.
Sunday, May 24, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Habari za leo Mom! It is so great to hear that you are safe and having an amazing time. Kris and I have been waiting to hear if you had landed okay and thought we should check the blog! It is the perfect way to keep in touch with you :) We took turns reading it out loud to each other and felt like we were right there with you. You are an amazing writer Mom. I got so scared at the part of the soldiers and started crying and then laughed with relief when it was just for a holiday practice. Your hotel sounds like you are right in the thick of it. I know you will get accustomed to the sounds soon that you will miss it when you leave. And I had so little faith on your luggage returning to you... that's awesome.
ReplyDeleteKris and I have had a great weekend here at his parents in Atlanta. We got to have a cookout at Armin & Nadia's, go to Stefanie Wirsch's graduation party, and have dinner with Stephen & Kathy. We will leave this afternoon and Kris will be spending all of Memorial Day studying for his first exam on Tuesday.
I truly cannot wait for your updates. I love you with all of my heart!
So thankful your luggage arrived! I was having flashbacks to the first week of our first trip.
ReplyDeleteThe sounds and sights (except for my thought of the mosquitos buzzing on the netting) will be fascinating and exciting. I may want to talk with Peggy and Jeanne about whether we want to try to move you to the Heron Court while we are there or get the full experience you are getting.
The Ethiopian restuarant sounds very interesting. What did the food taste like - any distinguishing spices or textures?
I love you and will send you an e-mail later.
I just love your blog! It's like being there with you - except I have air conditioning and no mosquitoes :). You sound so calm about everything! It must take some time to adjust to being in such a different world - and yet at the same time, feel so right that it would be so different. You must be so grateful that your luggage has arrived! I worry about your laptop & hope to hear that you have currency really soon. Thanks for blogging so much - it make you seem less far away. I assume you are off to work tomorrow? Love you - please be safe & use your head (as my mama would say)! Susan D.
ReplyDeleteCan I put my vote in for the Heron Court? I think Beth will be ready for the upgrade! I'm grateful your luggage (that you painstakingly kept to 50 pounds) finally caught up with you. As Kate and others have said, along with your many other gifts, you are a wonderful writer and I will look forward to your updates. I'm praying for you. Peggy H.
ReplyDeleteHi Mom!
ReplyDeleteYeah! I'm so glad you made it safely and everything is starting to work out. It seems like you're taking everything in stride. Thanks for keeping all of us updated! I can't wait to hear about your first day of work. I love you so much!!!
Beth, this is the coolest thing ever. You are my hero! I can't wait to read more.
ReplyDeleteMelissa
Hi Beth. It's wonderful to read about your adventure. I wish I would get so organized as to write a blog but it seems I never get the time. The movers are packing our house for the next three days and then we are off to visit our children for several weeks until we move to Nairobi on June 22nd. We arrive on June 24th as we are doing a stop-over for one night in Paris. On my very first trip to Nairobi in 1997 my luggage didn't arrive for a week and then they wanted to get paid to give me back my bag -- which I didn't do. Ever since then I learned to pack several changes of clothes in my carry-on bag. Scott and I are really looking forward to seeing you in Nairobi. We have rented a nice furnished two bedroom apartment in Westlands (near Sarit Center) so I can walk to work on Unga House. You will have to come over to see us. We are now trying to get my work permit since they cannot begin to ship our things until the work permit is approved so we will be living with our several suitcases full of things until that gets settled (perhaps in 3-6 months). I look forward to following your adventure. Maybe we can get the last little article written for the newsletter when we are together in Nairobi. Talk to you soon. PAM
ReplyDeleteBeth,
ReplyDeleteSo glad to see that you have arrived safely and are already reporting so eloquently on your experiences! You remain in our thoughts and prayers, and I think of you daily as I continue reading in the book (He Loves Me) that the ladies are reading for Midweek. How exciting it is to follow along with your daily journeys, Beth. This is truly precious! I must agree with Kate, Peggy & others and remark on what a tremendous gift you have for writing, Beth. I do hope that Frank is correct that these entries will preface a novel! Stay encouraged and take care. Hugs from north of the equator & across the Atlantic! By the way, have you had the opportunity to notice the difference of perspective in the crescent moon from south of the equatorial divide?