I turned on my camera last night to download photos and the screen read “Battery exhausted”… my next thought was “I am too”.
There are so many things in this world I am living in that trouble me – my internet is constantly up and down and viewing/sharing pictures is just impossible; the electricity flickers a couple of times a night; I’ve had no hot (or even warm) water for four days now… transportation is so difficult and traffic jams eat up literally hours of each day; George and Anne have three little girls and have had no water in their middle class home for the last month; Mary M has malaria and Carol was in the hospital today with another illness they couldn’t really diagnose; Mary O turns off her refrigerator during the day to conserve electricity and thinks she got sick yesterday from spoiled food; a friend from church lost her baby at 7 months – was admitted to the hospital for a c-section to deliver the baby who had died & was sent home the same day with no information about her baby or the baby’s death; this past weekend an angry boyfriend burned down the home of one of the families I had met in Dandora last week… so those who already had nothing, now really have nothing; we think that the headmaster of a school serving special needs children is likely misdirecting or pocketing the government allowance for the children each year; today I watched children no more than 2-3 years old literally playing on (or eating from?) a huge heap of trash… no adults in sight…
Inconveniences, inefficiencies and injustices are everywhere... and yet, I meet people every day who are grateful for what they have and most have a very surrendered attitude toward the lives they are living. There is not a lot of the American-way of asking “why?” or “why not?”…or demanding change or insisting on rights. Perhaps that is why I am exhausted and those who are actually living the lives I am describing are not.
I’m not sure what to think about this – perhaps you who are reading this can help me make sense of it. When it is important to stir up a sense of discontent to bring about change – and when is acceptance the right path? Perhaps it’s the difference between a social vs a personal response.
In a very tender way, most of those women I have found in greatest need, look to God with no bitterness, but for comfort and strength. And today, we visited one of the poorest homes I have found in Dandora (back to levels of poverty… how far is the bottom?)… the father was so thankful we had made the trip to his home (which was quite a distance away and down many steep, narrow, muddy, rocky alleyways almost down to the Nairobi River which is polluted with filth) and that we offered the hope of some support for his family (4 children under 10, a fifth on the way, both parents HIV+) that he insisted we pray together before we left.. and he prayed a prayer of joy & thankfulness. To look at him, I can’t imagine he will be alive this time next year.
So yes, I feel exhausted, but maybe I need to follow the example of the father – and pray prayers of joy & thankfulness…but without forgetting some measure of moral indignation to all I am witnessing. Paul Farmer defines public health as “an applied form of social justice”… I really like that description.
Ok – so one bit of new news from the village below. Came home tonight and found that the market now has a big freezer chest in front with a Coke logo on it! I was really quite excited for the market – but I can’t imagine that they have electricity, so don’t think it could be a cooler… did some Coke distributor put the chest there just to store drinks? or was it salvaged from someone’s trash and will be used for an entirely different purpose? Hope I can figure this out before I leave! I am so impressed with the woman who owns this little market – she works from sun-up to sun-down, looks like she employees at least 2 other women and has a constant stream of customers. You go, little market girl!
Tuesday, June 16, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I know your feeling a tremendous burden and are physically worn out, but I appreciate your heart and how you continue to the good in what's around you. I love you and can't wait to be with you on Saturday and then worship with the church on Sunday!
ReplyDeleteHi Beth - I left you a FB note - but just wanted to say that my heart is with you - time for a break, so you can renew. I think you bring a unique perspective of acceptance and yet also advocating for change. I think that sometimes without the experience of "what can be", it's hard for people to know what to "not accept". Hopefully, you can start the small changes while you are there and after you return - that will pay large dividends in the future. Thanks for being there. Love & miss you. Susan
ReplyDeleteYou do sound worn out, Beth. I know you can't wait to see Frank and Meghan. You have been so strong to be alone in a totally different culture. I hope the rest of this week is encouraging. Love you!
ReplyDeleteHi Beth,
ReplyDeleteI have been thinking about you today, as I read your blog last night. You can really understand Jesus' perspective when he looked at Jerusalem; so much pain and suffering -such an ache to help. He gives us such a great example of being spent and needing refuel from his Father. I can not imagine the exhaustion that you feel physically, emotionally and spiritually. You have given so much of yourself to the people of Dandora and as much as they have given back - in their best way- it must be so taxing on everything you have and everything you are. Most of the best of us would not be holding up near as well. I am grateful for your relationship with God and the Christians there.
This is a passage that always encourages me - "Hear my Cry, O God; listen to my prayer. From the ends of the earth (feels like it, I bet) I call to you, I call as my heart grows faint: Lead me to the rock that is higher than I. For you have been my refuge, a strong tower against the foe (poverty, sickness, corruption, dispair, hopelessness, exhaustion). I long to dwell in your tent forever and take refuge in the shelter of your wings." Psalm 61: 1-4
I pray that you have found strength in the shelter of God's wings! I hear that reinforcements are on the way - hurray! I can't wait to give you a big hug. I miss you!
Love and Laughter,
Amanda
Beth-Ryan wanted me to share Ps 55:22 with you. "Cast your cares on the Lord and he will sustain you." Also, Ps 18:28-29 "You, O Lord, keep my lamp burning, my God turns my darkness into light. With your help I can advance against a troop, with my God I can scale a wall." I found in Ecc 5:8 "If you see the poor oppressed in a district, and justice and rights denied, do not be surprised at such things." Amazing how Bible truths are always seen throughout time! The theme of that section of Ecc. is that earthly riches are meaningless. I truly think these people who are coming into your life have riches that we in America long for (surrendered hearts, value and loyalty of family, true gratefulness for each day God gives us, daily dependence on our Father...). We have riches they may desire and they have riches we desire.
ReplyDeleteI pray God will give you peace and wisdom to see what His plan is for these people you have come to care so deeply for. Love you! Shelia
Hi Beth - I was thinking about you today - hope you are well. You made me thing about Mother Teresa (no, I love you, but am not saying you are a Saint :)) - and specifically that with all her sacrifice and dedication, we still have problems today. But every heart that she touched - all the change that she personally caused - it's amazing. The only way to keep from being overwhelmed is to remember that you will not solve it all - or even as much as you want to. But every step you take is one in the right direction. Keep your goals small and reasonable, and you will find that your efforts will multiply quickly. Remember to be kind to yourself!! Susan
ReplyDelete