Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Reunion

Saturday was reunion day!! Frank, Meg, Jeanne and Peggy arrived just a little late – right at the same time flights from Dar Salaam and Entebbe came in (this was not Charlotte-Douglas Airport!). I spotted Frank first – in a red baseball cap, Meghan with her red hair and a green shirt, Jeanne in polka dots and Peggy… in a wheel chair. Peggy broke her foot the day before leaving and decided she could still come – my hero! The wheelchair ended up being a real plus for the group – they got VIP treatment, including by-passing the long visa line at the entry into the country! The ride home was filled with laughter and everyone talking over one another in excitement – it’s so good to have them here. We checked into the Heron Court (such luxury compared to Kenya Comfort) and had a late, light dinner (mostly soups). After dinner, Frank, Meg and I came back to our room to celebrate in style – Mbugua, one of the HOPE drivers, has a sweet wife who works at the Nakumatt; she made a chocolate cake for Frank & Meg with their names and a welcome note on the cake. After a long plane flight and an evening of reunion, we all settled into bed (although in a moment of despair, I discovered there was no hot water even at the Heron Court!... maybe I'll have a warm shower tomorrow).

Sunday was a blur especially to the jetlagged crew. We headed to church early for a 2 ½ hour women’s service. Afterwards, Meg and I went to the “terrace” which was an old wood grandstand in front of a soccer field behind the Railway Club (where the church meets). Carol Mukenya had again asked that I speak to all the mothers in the church about parenting. As I began the lesson Carol interrupted to ask Meghan to move to the other side of the stadium along with all the teen moms and unexpectedly asked Meghan to speak to both the teen moms and later to the teens. I didn’t get to hear Meghan, but I’m sure she did a great job! After church we all joined Malinda and Tewolde, Dagi and Hope for lunch at the Ethiopian restaurant that I wanted the family to experience. It was also Malinda’s birthday, so in Ethiopian tradition we had popcorn with candies (not candles) on top to celebrate at the end of our meal.

Monday was back to Dandora! I was so eager for my family to see the world that I had been living in for the past month.

From Meghan (we have much to catch up on... my writer Meg, is helping me write!)
We left Monday morning around 9:30 for Dandora. The hour drive took us through downtown Nairobi and other familiar parts of the city. I knew however that I had reached Dandora when the cement buildings became three pieces of tin put together, the trash covered the streets with pigs scavenging through it and a blanket of dust covered the sky. Since I have been in Kenya on Friday I felt so comfortable and almost sad that I wasn’t shocked anymore by the sights and sounds of Africa. Kenya had become my home, but the first time, as we entered Dandora, I felt uncomfortable and uneasy. We arrived at the OVC center were Charles took us to St. Elizabeth School where we were a part of a filming of a documentary about building self esteem in children who have experienced psychosocial trauma. After that we went to Rosebella’s school to see the Kid’s Club in action. The Kid’s Club is for any of the children in the area, but the orphans and vulnerable children have special support groups. We were greeted by the eleven year old chairman of the Kid’s Club board, Tasha, who showed us around the school and began a business meeting with us. We saw how the students made soap, shampoo, necklaces, eco-friendly rope and sold solar lights to raise money for the food for the club and for the orphans. Tasha was an amazing and intellectual girl; she could run any major corporation right now! The teachers told us that Tasha first came to the school very shy, insecure and withdrawn because her dad had died of AIDS and her mother had abandoned her. Since coming to the Kid’s Club she had come alive and a spark was lit in her. She has become passionate about taking care of the children in the club and had found pride in her projects. Rosebella was also a remarkable woman. She taught in Kenyan public school s for many years and now just does this as volunteer work and also takes care of most of the orphan children in the school. It was amazing to see how creative, intellectual and proud these orphan and vulnerable children had become because of the Kid’s Club.

Back to me: (thanks for your help, Meg!)
After spending the morning visiting the two primary schools and Kids Clubs, we went back to the main HOPE office, and then walked to Velma’s for “tea and chapatti’s”. I was so pleased to have my family there – and think Velma was equaled pleased. It took a few moments to arrange the seating. We moved one table back to the couch, arranged chairs on the other side (some chairs had backs, others were broken off), and then we balanced a second table on the dirt floor and moved benches and chairs around it. Our small crowd overwhelmed the little place. Baka was there, so he joined us – Frank, Meg, Jeanne, Peggy, Lawrence, Charles, Baka and me. Then out came our “tea” – first the assorted cups, then the thermoses of tea & milk, then chapatti’s – both plain and ones with green specks (herbs, Velma said) and then mandazi’s (little fried dough) – both plain & cinnamon flavored. Jeanne had been inspecting the cooking area & asking questions about the food in all the pots… and before we knew it, Velma started sending plates of food out – rice, beans, cabbage, green grams, stew, carrots, a “salad” of chopped tomatoes & peppers…. Plate after plate … we hardly knew where to begin (on several levels!) … fortunately, Lawrence, Charles & Baka were more than happy to eat more than their share of the food. I presented Velma with the three bright, stainless steel Oneida cooking spoons that Frank had brought from home for me. I think she was extremely pleased with the new utensils – and also with the bow on the spoons (a big pink & purple bow that came from some flowers I was given Sunday). She quickly tied the purple and pink bow to the top of the post adjacent to her countertop. I wouldn’t be surprised if that bow isn’t still there on any return trip I make!

After tea, which actually became lunch, we went back to the office to meet Siata. She had brought a mother & special needs child to the HOPE office for an interview with me and inclusion on our special needs list. After the interview, I presented Siata with the materials that Priscilla had send from her own special needs collection. Priscilla, I can’t tell you how wonderfully the things you sent were received! I don’t think I had ever seen such a beautiful smile on her face. She made a touching comment… she said many people have come through Dandora and have talked about help, but your gift of school supplies was the first tangible things she had actually been given. She and Makena will sort though all the materials and then deliver the materials later this week to the special unit at Ronald Ngara School. P.S. the Obama inauguration magazine was a REAL HIT with all the HOPE staff! Not sure who actually went home that treasure!

After meeting with Siata, we made a final home visit (Frank, Meg, Jeanne , Charles & Zaire and me) – this time to deliver food and a blanket (your last hand-made one, Lori!) to the family I had met last week (elderly granny caring for a 15 deaf granddaughter – who is a total orphan – and who has a four month old baby. I gave Zaire a single bill worth about $15 and we stopped at a little market en route to the granny’s home – I couldn’t believe how much food that small amount of money purchased! And I couldn’t count the number of “asante sanas” (thank you very much) the granny exclaimed. I learned later that the granny told Zaire they had not eaten since yesterday and didn’t know where food was coming from today… perfect timing; I bet the granny had been praying. As I walked with Zaire back to the office, she told me that she had taken several agency heads to that particular home... but that no one has ever provided tangible help. An echo of Siata’s statements….Zaire was thrilled and I was so glad we could help… at least for the day.

Today (Tuesday) has been another whirlwind – spent the morning at the HOPE main office in Kilileshua, where the gang got the tour of all the agencies within HOPE and then I presented a summary of my work for the summer. After that, we played! Off to the Giraffe Park (I do think giraffes are my favorite African animal) where we fed the giraffes, saw real wart hogs (so completely ugly that they are adorable!) and where I was able to get more of the carved wooden birds… one of my favorite Kenyan souvenirs – I brought home several last time, but gave them all away, without saving one for myself! Then to Kazuri beads (another favorite location)… history, economic empowerment for women… and exquisite beads made on site. I had forgotten that Kazuri means “small & beautiful”… such a perfect description of the work! And finally, a late dinner with both the Mwanza’s and Ondatto’s… some of our dearest friends here.

Tomorrow we leave for Kisumu and the Reach-Out program…. a six hour ride through the Rift Valley and Kenyan tea plantations. We may not have internet until next week, so don’t worry if you find nothing here for the next several days! We are well and happy!

1 comment:

  1. Hello Family! Good to see the updates again Mom, and glad you have help now. I can't imagine how you are able to write at all after such long days! I love that you were able to help that family who didn't know how they were going to eat. Of course long term sustainability of communities is the goal, but I love those little stories of immediate help! Please give Meghan, Dad, Aunt Jeanne, and Peggy my love. I know there has got to be lots of laughter with that group! :) Love you all and can't wait to hear all the stories in person.

    ReplyDelete