Today was an “office day” – back at the main HOPE site… met with Christine, who oversees all of HOPE’s M&E (monitoring & evaluation) projects, the umbrella under which my projects will fall. She reviewed the plans and the surveys I had created and we got a final “go” for my work. Then I sat down with Makena (who was also in from the field) and we made a timeline of how we’ll accomplish it all. I feel like my time is getting short, but I think things are still do-able. Here are the final plans/projects:
# 1. Look for orphans & vulnerable children who have not been enrolled in the HOPE OVC program
# 2. Look for special needs children, to document their existence (last week a person in a governmental agency dealing with special needs children told a HOPE staff person that she was not aware of any special needs or disabled children living in Dandora & that’s why there were no governmental services there… Dandora has a population of 600,000 people…. I am guessing we’ll find a few children with challenges).
For 1 & 2, I’ll meet with local volunteers, lay health counselors, teachers, Kids Club patrons & others who know the community intimately & may be aware of un-served children who are at risk.
# 3. Survey caregivers or heads of child-led homes to make sure the services they are getting from HOPE are useful & accessible… and to identify any gaps in the services being provided. The HIV+ caregivers meet in “support groups” throughout Dandora once a week – so we’ll met with those groups … then we’ll meet with groups of caregivers not involved in the support groups – single parents, grannies, aunties (I love that word) and child heads of households.
Other notes:
TIME in Kenya: Things move sloooowly. I am finding myself with some degree of frustration, and looking for methods of coping. It took over 3 hours to get to a local grocery store and back this evening (including 1/2 hour in the store)…. The trip couldn’t have been more than 3-4 miles max, one way. As the clock in the cab ticked, I initially thought… ok, it’s 5:15… it’s just a few miles, so even with traffic, I should arrive by 5:45 or 6. As 6 came & went, I just added another whole hour… sure enough, I arrived home a few minutes after 7. “I’m putting dinner on the table right now” said to a child, means in one hour (I counted). My 12 noon cab pick-up arrived at 1:30 yesterday, as if nothing in the world was wrong… My plan is to estimate the “worst case scenario” I can imagine, then add an hour - & make myself comfortable with that time. Part of the time issue is cultural, but part is simply a result of the living conditions – everything is slower, takes longer and is harder than you (or any Kenyan) plans.
DIFFERENT in Kenya: I am staying busy enough that I hardy have a moment to miss home, but I am always aware of being different & somewhat alone. When things are just so unusual - this morning, two women walking down the center of the street carrying a large wooden table between them (what in the world? where are they going?)… or seeing a fruit (or vegetable?) in the grocery store that was unlike anything I’d ever seen before (imagine a bright green cucumber with 2 inch spikes covering its entire surface - shocking)…or turning a neighborhood corner to see a 20 foot tarp laid out on the ground & covered with thousands upon thousands of dead minnows (which I smelled before I saw the source)… or watching a young man hop onto the back of a big, moving truck right in front of my eyes and jump inside the open top (just stealing, the taxi driver said)…. there is no one to say “good grief, look at that!!” to, because it’s completely normal to anyone I might be with.
The village people below me are singing tonight – and it’s really delightful listening! Both men’s & women’s voices – is it a party? some kind of celebration? I am grateful for the music this evening. (see, listening to neighbors singing… even that’s a little different!)
Tuesday, June 2, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

"GOOD GRIEF!!! From America!" Before you left, I imagined the hardest moments would be not having anyone to discuss how stressful/bad Dandora's conditions are - because to everyone there, it's bad, but more normal. But it must also be so culturally lonely, just trying to get through everyday successfully!!! I'm glad you are sharing with all of us. I am going to fall asleep tonight, imagining African voices. Perhaps, to make yourself laugh, next time something is taking an extra hour, you can try to imaging me in that same situation - or even better, Barry! Then you should feel like a major success.
ReplyDeleteI am so excited to understand the scope of your work on this trip. I wonder where you will go with this once you leave? Out of 600,000 people - I'd guess that at least 200,000 are children? Maybe more. Then you should have at least 4000 kids with challenges. And I'd expect that it is 2-3x that. How will you do all this in the time that you have!!! I feel your frustration on this. I think the thing to keep in mind, is that we are here to save one child at a time, so you will not be able to do it all - there will always be more. But the child that you find, will be a ripple that will make a difference. I love you and will pray for you this week. Best Susan - oh & what about Fear & 2000 Chicks? I think if you do teasers on your blog, you need to give us the installment with the answers!!!
Your last two blogs have brought smiles to my face and tears to my eyes. Smiles because I felt like I could almost see Cristobel's face and see her eyes brighten with hope as she spoke with you. I do hope you two had some laughs together. Your 'chai time' with Velma is fun to visualize also--mostly her setting things and herself up for the photo opp. Frank 'Meat' brings a smile, too. You're in good company, Frank--Steve Mukenya is Luhya also.
ReplyDeleteMy tears came because of knowing how many children will probably become orphans just in the short time that you're there. Children having to grow up and make decisions that we will never have to make or think about in our lifetime. Their stamina and their determination to move forward each day gives me a salty smile.
Beth, each life you touch will be paid forward and beyond--even with Kenyan time slowing that down. I love you dearly!!!
Hi Mom
ReplyDeleteYou might be sick of hearing this, but I am so proud of you! I understand your frustration of not being able to do everything you want in the time that you have, but one of the essential things you're doing is exposing the needs. It boogles my mind that the government thinks there are no special need children in Dandorra. Do they really think that? Or don't want to take the effort to find out? You're there to give those children a voice and be an advocate for them. That makes me incredibly proud of you. And Mom, just know that I understand what it's like to be different. I love hearing your "odd" stories. Those experiences are hilarious and awkward. The first time I drove to church by myself here I got stopped at a green light so that 20 Japanese men and women wearing yukatas could dance across the street with a large wooden shrine on their shoulders. Seriously? Oh, and I think we have that spiky cucumber here too, but I can't remember the name. I love you and miss you so much! You're constantly in my thoughts and prayers.