I took today off from work… I am working again this Saturday & just needed a day to catch up on the little things of life – like washing and grocery shopping. Such chores have been nearly impossible to do in the evening. I felt very American today – wore slacks & flip flops, rather than a skirt… almost bought a coke at the store (but realized it had one of the hard metal caps & I didn’t remember seeing a can opener in my little kitchen)… bought more water, sweet potatoes, bananas, avocados and a new notebook. My notebook is so dirty & dingy and almost used up – it really looks like it has spent three weeks in a slum (hope I don’t look so worn!). Bought more minutes for my phone (I haven’t learned how to tell the status of my “minutes” and got cut off in the middle of a conversation earlier today)… then I went to the Banana Box at Sarit Center (for those of you who remember, the cool little gift store where you can use a credit card & don’t have to barter)… I was going American all the way today! (and still find it hard to believe that I am shopping alone in Nairobi).
I had a quick lunch I my room and then explored the place where I have been staying for almost three weeks now– there is a pool below me & I found my way to it… read Julie’s “State” magazine all about North Carolina (thanks again, Julie – it was a great reminder of home!) as I sat in the shade by the pool – not quite western standards, but the small trees, flowers & birds surrounding the pool were beautiful. I was careful to stay out of the sun (I remember the equatorial sunburn I got last time & didn’t want to repeat it)… and really enjoyed the soft breeze and sounds of the birds. A little waterfall (or open spigot) into the pool made the perfect flowing water sound.
The town was buzzing today because the new fiscal year’s budget was to be announced at 3 this afternoon. As we drove home from shopping, my driver pointed out police cars and staff amassing at all the major intersections… they evidently were expecting wide-spread protests in reaction to the budget and the police intended to stop things before they got started. So glad I went out early today – the traffic was already a challenge… can’t imagine what it was later in the day with major streets blocked off! But as far as I could tell, there were no major issues after the budget announcement.
The two Mary’s came for dinner tonight (we all had tilapia) – then up to my room, where they showed me how to make Kenyon ginger tea – with fresh ginger root… so wonderful! We had a great time talking about everything imaginable – from children and families to cooking techniques to life, aging….post-election violence… rural vs urban living…it couldn’t have been a more wonderful time. I learned I had bought “Ugandan bananas” which are only for cooking… Mary took them & said she’d replace them with “eating bananas” tomorrow – how kind.
I’ll be back to Dandora tomorrow – with a focus on finishing the last surveys, picking up names of unserved vulnerable children from one of the local schools – and hopefully talking to my last two special needs contacts – plus two home visits … a full day! Mary brought a tray of mandazi’s to me tonight (like square donuts without the hole… and just a hint of sweetness)… I’m sure I could eat the whole tray – but think it would be smarter if I took them with me to Dandora tomorrow!
Thursday, June 11, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Hi, Beth,
ReplyDeleteI can't wait to drink ginger tea with you here in the good ol' USA. I am glad you are taking some time to relax and enjoy your surroundings. I read Amanda's post about Olivia and wanted to share that Ava was asking to do chores so that she could earn money for her little box. I hope we have lots of change on Sunday to send with Frank. I think I will go back and copy the part about the shoes to send out to remind people about the collection on Sunday. Much love and many prayers to you! Love, MN
Hi Beth - you are such a woman of the world now!!! I bet it was a relief to just be American for a day. But I am sure that as I write, you are back to the Kenyian patience, and are handing out Mandazi's in Dandora. I'll fall asleep with that image on my mind. I hope you will continue to blog when Frank arrives. I so look forward to each installment!! Susan
ReplyDelete