Saturday, June 6, 2009

Delicious Awesome God in hot pink

Wow – today marks the half way point of my Dandora internship… two weeks down, two weeks to go (then two final weeks in Kisumu). Home seems so far away, yet the days are flying by! Today was Saturday, but I went to work specifically to see one of the Saturday Kids Clubs (you can guess… this was Velma’s club & she wanted me to meet her group).

I spent the morning interviewing more “unserved” families, all of whom were eligible for some type of support… all I could promise, however, was a spot on the waiting list for the funding expected in September. I know many of these families had walked a distance (& then had to wait) for this interview, so I asked Velma to purchase a big bag of oranges to hand out – to thank them for coming in… and to make it not so bad that we really had nothing immediate to offer. The oranges were a big hit – wish I’d thought of that earlier (really better than candy – my usual give-away!). In the process of interviewing, I remembered a study in which the researchers used the answer to “when did you last eat a meal?” as a measure of someone’s poverty level… I asked that to several of the families and the answer was yesterday, the day before yesterday… I can’t even imagine. No wonder the oranges were so appreciated.

Velma’s Kids Club (the Terminus Kids Club… I thought the name was a little morbid, until I realized her section of Dandora was were all the buses & matatu’s terminated their routes…Terminus). There must have been 50 or more children there – just a big dingy hall below the HOPE office with the ever-present plastic chairs…. absolutely nothing else in the room or on the walls. We were “honored guests” and received a gracious welcome from the Club’s “chairman”, then were treated to songs & poetry recitations by the children – who must have ranged from about 3 to 17. The performances were wonderful… but the lyrics to most of the poetry were troubling – all about AIDS, losing parents & family members, loneliness. But AIDS is such a real & present part of these children’s lives – I am glad they have a forum in which they can share thoughts & emotions and be understood by their peers.

Small update on my “room with a view” village – I saw a white man sitting at a table outside a house tonight. I was surprised at how surprised I was by the site! I must look equally out of place. And the beautiful stone fireplace adjacent to the market is just gone today! The stones must have been needed elsewhere… seems a loss.

While matatu’s are still everywhere in Nairobi, a new larger bus line has also been added – kind of half way between the van-like matatu’s and a full sized bus. They are individually owned – and are marketed via their paint schemes – and they are wild!!! The buses are colors like hot pink, purple, & bright yellow, and then have airbrushed images on them of unimaginable creatures, celebrities and movie stars (I can’t imagine that Brittany Spears & Tyra Banks know they are on these buses!)… and then the names…Vaccine, Life is a School, Fiasco, Thank U Lord, Backlash, Dogg Father, Vision 2030 (guess he was hoping his paint job would last a really long time!), Youngest in Charge, Delicious Awesome God, Cheddar, Daily Dose, Emirates, DImples… so random, so crazy…. Some names unprintable. And like the matatu’s, they sometimes drive on the sidewalk if traffic is jammed.

Solomon, one of my regular drivers (& always in a very normal vehicle), brought me a guidebook for Kenya and a detailed street map of Nairobi this morning - Frank, you’ll be so proud that I am learning street names & directions.

I’m looking forward to Sunday & a day off from Dandora. I continue troubled in my heart by all I see and am unsure what next steps to take… glad I have another year in school to figure that out.

5 comments:

  1. Hello from Ocracoke. I cannot believe that you have been gone for two weeks already! With all that you have accomplished, it must be flying by. I am sure you are the last person that needs advice right now, but I can rarely resist :). I know this must seem like an insurmountable mountain that you are trying to climb - and perhaps to move. I cannot imagine how hard it is to reconcile our lives and opportunities here, with what you are seeing in Dandora. Just try to remember that each of us has a responsibility in this - that you are not alone there. Beth, if you touch 40 lives, that will be multiplied 10 fold over time. And if you then inspire a few more of us to do our small part - that is how true change is built. I am proud of you and worried for you. And I hope to understand this very different path in life that so many are living on - through your work.

    I hope you are getting lots of emails from home every day. You must be SO excited to see Frank in 2 weeks!!!! I'll be so glad for you. All is well here - vacation is a wonderful time for me to focus on more intense (and fun) therapy for Meg, and to put my energies against continuing to buld a team for her. I suspect that we'll be heading to Maryland next, for further exploration. I wonder, everyday, as I search for answers for her, how we have been so fortunate to live in this time & in this world, where the resouces are there - maybe hard to find, but there. I read about Victor on your site & I am not sure how to feel. I guess, my main emotion, is that every child deserves the care that Meg is getting. My initial reaction, similar to Frank's, is one of outrage and bewilderment, that these lives can be so desperate in this day and time.

    Thanks for writing for us - thanks for caring about Dandora, and all the children. Much love - Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beth, it is Sunday morning here. We are planning to make cards and take photographs with the children this morning to send with Frank and Meg. And to make containers for the children to collect change this week. Those things seem so small compared to the enomity of the poverty there. I am sure that is what you feel each moment you are awake. I love how you include fun details like the descriptions of the buses along side the tough ones. I suppose that is one of the ways you (and the Kenyans) survive. Again, I love you and I am so proud to be your friend. Take care of yourself! Love, Mary Nell

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Beth,
    Olivia came from Junior Worship today so excited to help the children of Kenya. She has a small green paper container to collect change for them. She had taken notes from Mr. Frank's lesson for the class. She said that she feels sad for the children, but happy to have a chance to help. She has been following us around this afternoon, looking for change - I told her that the children would accept dollars as well. She is not sure that I am right. She will check with someone who really knows the rules.

    I hope that you realize that your influence is not only helping the children of Dandora, but also the hearts of children in Charlotte, NC (and their parents!)

    We had the teen luau last night. I was able to talk to Meghan. She danced with the other teen workers for the parents and teens and just had the most beautiful smile all night. She is such a giving young woman and so proud of her mother. She beams when she talks about you and your work there in Kenya.

    I was thinking about the busses and the color and their names. What a bright spot in an often sad and crazy environment. Hopefully Tyra and Brittany would be honored.

    By the way, Angie and her children are raising baby chicks - much work, smell and noise. :)

    Well, I hope that you had a wonderful day of worship and found strength and comfort in the disciples. I know that you gave both to everyone who crossed your path, along with a great hug and your gentle smile. I am praying that the school work side is coming along, I know that although you will do it excellently, your heart is to find real solutions for the families in Dandora and that this experience is one of love, not just educational.

    You are on my heart all the time. I constantly wonder what and how you are doing and I rush to my computer to see if you have left a post yet. I love you and can't wait to hear some of your stories and see pictures in person. I will save up some some funny stories for a chuckle when you get home. I miss you! Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't been on a computer in a couple of days, until last night, so was anxious to catch up with your days in Nairobi...after reading your last few posts, I was a bit overwhelmed, so thought I'd wait to comment today. My heart is still heavy, yet I trust God is blessing you, as He is blessing those that you meet and touch each day with your tender smile and soft heart. I can't help but close my eyes and see your parents glowing with pride--and amazement. You have been blessed with this opportunity to use your God given gifts to their fullest. I am confident that your zeal, hope and diligence will open new doors and give dreams to others like never before. You must believe that the seeds you plant are bringing God joy; He looks forward to His work ahead. I know you have learned to love in ways you never thought possible. Keep it up and trust that as we all pray, God will work in amazing ways.

    AND they announced at church today--reading George's email--that as they (Steve, Carol & Ann) were on the land, the "excavator" pulls up and begins the building of their new church. How amazing is that? They didn't even know that it had been approved. AND you got to be there for that!!! HOW COOL IS THAT???!!!

    I have spent much of my weekend putting activities together for the SN students in Dandora. I spoke with Frank and plan on mailing the box to him this week. Thank you for giving me this opportunity to help. With your schedule as busy as it is, I trust you have not been able to take Lucy Wangui shopping for an outfit. Would it help you out if I emailed Mary Mwanza and asked her to take Lucy and you could pay her back or give her the money ahead of time? Or maybe, Lucy would just rather have the money--whichever, I trust you to decide.

    I hope you are staying healthy. Thank you for the time you put into blogging and allowing all of us into your world. You are loved deeply.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Beth - I see that you have not written today, and hope that is because you had a busy but peaceful Sunday. Much deserved. Just wanted to send you love from across the ocean. Love, Susan

    ReplyDelete