Monday, June 1, 2009

Shelled peas - upholstered stools

It’s fairly late for me and I have been on the verge of alarm as I have been unable to connect to the internet all evening. I think, without TV or radio… just the roosters (which crow day or night) and voices below… the internet is really my link to home and all things familiar. I’m not sure how I would handle losing this convenient tie to you all!

Today has been my third 12+ hour day in a row… I left at 8 this morning and got home just before 9pm tonight… church and visiting with the Ondatto’s. So tonight will just be bullet points:

* Picnic after church today – with everyone sharing food… I had anything I was offered - mashed bananas & sweet potatoes with red beans, hot porridge, a new Kenyan bread – almost like a non-sweet donut…. It is so tiresome to worry about “safe” food all the time (thought of Megan, Susan). I have decided I will just eat what I am offered and hope any consequences will be minor.

* Spent 4 hours in Mary’s kitchen this afternoon/evening watching & helping her cook dinner – how about a salad of coarsely chopped carrots & zucchini (coget) with lemon juice & hand-pureed avocado… so refreshing!

* I have cremora & some crystal light that I brought with me from home – can’t imagine using either while I am here. There is a simplicity and purity about the food preparation… they both seem so un-food-like in comparison.

* Continue to be amazed at the juxtapositions of culture and class I see daily… like the men in fancy cars & clean, tailored suits driving up to my little slum market below to buy fruit

* Nairobi is recycling to the max…but on a different level than what we know at home. The ladies that shell peas outside, next to the market below, are sitting on upholstered swivel stools – that have remained outside even in the rain… are they from the dump? were they once in an office building in Nairobi? in Boston? And the trash-runner who wears the orange/pink jumpsuit has become a regular – but is now also wearing an oversized decorative brown v-neck sweater. How did he come to own this piece of clothing? Was this once some woman’s in Atlanta? (used clothing is shipped in containerfuls to Africa). I think every item of clothing, every vehicle, every piece of wood, every plastic bottle has multiple lives before it finally ends up in Dandora (where it is scavenged one final time!)

* Mr. Clean up-date… I thought he was a taxi driver, but the day I saw a black Mercedes in his yard (another astonishing juxtaposition of worlds)… I decided he just cleaned cars! His name is even more appropriate than I first thought!

Tomorrow is a state holiday – but I am working to keep my hours on track… and will see Steve & Carol after work. My first installment for school is due tomorrow, but I’ve had so little time to do the “scientific” writing... the blog is much more fun!

6 comments:

  1. And much more fun for us. I was writing a comment on another day's blog and your post for today appeared. I felt so close to you! Love, Mary Nell

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a very full day; and I do feel so dependent on you having the internet! It is so good each day to read your messages and know that you are OK.

    Please use some caution in eating anything put in front of you - sounds a little like tempting fate.

    Give my love to Steve and Carol.

    I love you, Frank

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so funny - we have a new mantra today - "I don't care, bring it on"! Meg is really working well with it. Perhaps you should use this with caution - and not with any water based products! I'm sure you'll use your common sense. Actually sounds like a relaxing day, despite the length. I am a little jealous today! It's really more fun to blog than to do homework - I know this all too well. I was never a writer before I had a blog. Right now I can hardly wait to log on - both to write & to see what you have done with your day! Do you buy your fruit at the market below? I am so glad you are blogging & will really hope that you keep your internet connection for the next few weeks. Love you - Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beth,
    Like Susan, I log on eagerly every day hoping to see a new entry on your blog. It's been wonderful reading your observations and experiences, especially about what seem to such everyday things - washing dishes - that become such hurdles to overcome (I vote for boiling the water, bleach seemed like the right idea but now I see the difficulty that presents). Your writing is wonderful, it makes everything come to life. I hope you don't mind but I've passed on the address of your blog to a number of my friends who are curious about our experiences in Kenya.
    I am curious about your internet connection - is it available in your room?
    Looking forward to seeing you soon.
    Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beth,
    Thanks so much for journaling. I agree with jeanne, I can almost hear the noises and smell the smells. Only a few more weeks and I will! Did you end up wearing your Kenyan attire to church? I worshipped with the Dallas, TX church yesterday. Anna has moved to be close to her boyfriend, Brett Beaman (son of Mark and the late Margaret Beaman). Great family and Anna is so happy. We drove a truck out and I flew back. On the flight home I sat next to a Nurse Manager (cardiology) from Emory. She was very interested to hear about Reach Out and asked if she could help in the clinic next summer. Have a safe day. You are in my prayers. "I will lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety." Psalm 4:8 -Peggy H.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beth,
    Thanks for letting me know about your blog. Your family has truly given me a window into the world. I enjoy reading your blog and I enjoy viewing Kate's pictures on facebook.
    Be safe and remember you are loved by all.
    Gloria Kelley

    ReplyDelete